"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday- God Bless America

Photobucket
I voted today. It doesn't seem like a big deal to many people, but as I was walking into the City building I felt a surge of gratitude and appreciation for this blessed land that I live in. The air was cold and the temperature was below freezing, but there I stood in my thick coat just having gotten out of my warm car that gets me where I need to go. Cody was at home with the kids. My family was safe. Things were good. It's easy to predict who will carry the republican vote for our state, and my vote likely won't make or break the deal. But I decided to cast it anyway. And why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't I exercise this great gift that so many people have given their lives for? So much has been sacrificed on my behalf. As I drove home I couldn't help but think of the women in these Middle Eastern countries who are forced to wear the clothes that they do and who don't have a voice. I am so fortunate to live in a place where my voice is not only allowed to be heard, but it matters. I think of people who protest, and although I don't agree with things that are sometimes said, I am so grateful that they are ALLOWED to voice their opinions in such a way! How awesome is it that we have freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom....to live? I don't know why Heavenly Father saw fit to let me be born with such freedoms, but I'm thankful. And so today, I voted.

2 comments:

Ute Family said...

Amen to that!! Being born in such a great place, we forget to remind ourselves how blessed we trueley are.

Staci said...

Isn't it amazing that the smallest things can go unremembered or taken for granted. Like voting. We have a say in who runs our country. That may sound trivial but agency is such a blessing.