"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

25 Reasons Why I Love Summer


1. The smell of chlorine.

2. The smell of sunscreen. This always reminds me of Schlitterbahn. And there is a certain sunscreen that will always remind of Coach Tidmore, my old swim coach. I don't know what kind it is but he always wore it.

3. BBQs. Oh how I love the smell of cooking meat on the grill.

4. Playing outside until your skin is cracked by the sun.

5. The feeling of the first dive into a swimming pool after a long cold winter. The way the water wraps around your body like a glove.

6. Handstands in the swimming pool and playing "school" (does anyone know what I'm talking about?)

7. Schlitterbahn. The way my sisters and I would talk about and brainstorm for weeks what rides we would go on first. The way we could barely sleep the night before leaving for our Schlitterbahn trip. Can you tell I love Schlitterbahn?

8. Being barefoot.

9. Hot pink painted toe nails.

10. Wearing little make up because my face is beautifully sunkissed and my freckles are popping.

11. The way my kids smell when they have been swimming. It's a combination of sweat, sunscreen, and chlorine.

12. Campouts in the yard with friends.

13. The sound of cicadas buzzing in the trees at sunset.

14. The scent of gunpowder lingering long into the night on the 4th of July.

15. The feel of the warm pavement on bare feet after the sun has gone down.

16. Freshly cut grass.

17. Waking up on Saturday mornings to the sound of a neighbor mowing their lawn (as long as it is after 9:00!)

18. Crepe Myrtles in full bloom.

19. Sticky watermelon juice dripping down your arms.

20. Not having a million scheduled activites to get to like during the school year.

21. Tubing down the river.

22. Spending so much time with friends and family.

23. Neighbors congregating every evening out on their front lawns. No one is hybernating inside!

24. Breakfast in the park.

25. The way I wish time would stand still.

2 comments:

just andrea said...

well you pretty much summed it up for me!! I miss the neighborhood already!

Ute Family said...

I've never even heard of Schlitterbahn, so I went to the website and I saw that there is one in Kansas CIty, my hometown. We're going there in a few weeks...maybe we'll have to check it out.
BBQ's are my favorite too :) Summer's are the best!