"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Big 2-8

My birthday was this past week. Ever since my 8th birthday I have really not been a fan of my own birthday celebrations. I'm not exageratig either. And it's not because I'm getting older or anything like that...it's just that my birthday always fills me with a sense of dread. I'm not good at letting peope take care of me. I love to nurture, but I'm not good at being nurtured. But a wise person told me once that no matter what, it's important for parents to make a big deal out of their own birthdays because the children love it. That is very true. I remember as a kid getting very excited when we celebrated my parents' birthdays. This year Ethan got very giddy at the thought of having cake and opening presents. So I will continue to let my family enjoy my birthday, if only for their own benefit.

This year was nice and low key which was perfect. I told Cody I didn't want him spending any money on me, other than maybe a card and a cake. I would much rather put the money toward something else. I have enough stuff. The obligatory gifts of so many ocassions just make me ill. In the afternoon the kids and I went to swim lessons and then stayed to swim. Let me just say that juggling three small children who don't know how to swim is quite the science. Then we headed home, but Cody had beat us there. There he had waiting Cafe Rio- which is my favorite!! The table was all set and everything laid out, along with a beautiful vase of roses. He even picked up a delicious Baskin Robins strawberry ice cream cake. It was so yummy!

Even though I told him not to buy me anything, he said he couldn't resist. He bought me two DVDs- Steel Magnolias and The Karate Kid. Both are two of my favorites and I've been wanting them on DVD. I am such a sucker for classic 80s movies- wax on, wax off. Then after kids were settled we watched the finalies of Smallville and The Office. Nice and low key. The perfect birthday. By the way, I should thank my mother for giving birth to me almost three decades ago. Thanks Mom. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for you (how is that for sentiment?)





2 comments:

Ute Family said...

Sounds like a fun b-day. We love Cafe Rio in this house too. 28 huh? I beat you to it, by 8 months :) Glad you had a fun time.

That is hilarious about your 8th b-day. A clipboard, really? You're too funny!

Chambers Clan said...

I'll have to give you my sister-in-laws amazing homemade Cafe Rio recipes! It is the best, the only bad part is that I eat WAY too much. Do you like the sweet pork salad? That's the recipe. YUMMY! Happy Birthday! I was always glad you had a birthday a month after me:) We were birthday buds:)