"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Infamous 8th Birthday Party


This past week was a significant week. I turned 28, but more importantly it means that twenty years have passed since the infamous birthday. I have always been a planner. Clipboards, charts, schedules, etc. I always mean well but rarely execute the plan of action as I would like.

I looked forward to my eighth birthday with so much excitment and anticpation. This was my first REAL slumber party. I kid you not when I say that I carried around a clip board for weeks planning that thing. I even recall taking it to church with me and working on it during Sacrament Meeting. What eight year old plans like that? I had every minute of the party scheduled. I mapped out what time my eight guests would arrive (I should add that I spent much time narrowing down my choices for guests, making sure that only the best and most important friends were invited).

I knew what time we would eat, what time we would play certain games, what time we would have cake, what time we would get our PJs on....BUT WAIT!!! Something went out of wack and ruined my plan when Amanda Zamora (aka the devil) decided to pull out her new PJs as soon as she arrived!!!!! What was she thinking? Did she not understand that it went against the plan? In hind sight I see my mistake. Upon arrival, guests should have been briefed and given neatly typed out itinerary of what to expect at the party. So in all fairness, Amanda's mistake was entirely my fault. How was she to know that the PJs were not intended to be put on until 8:30?

This was the beginning of the end of this night for me. To make a long story short, this party will go down in history as "The Genie Pajama Party". I was left out of almost all fun that night. I tried hard to put on a happy face during the first hour or so, but it was too hard and I had a terrible time. In fact, I was so left out and miserbale that I spent a large part of the night in my room crying while everyone else had fun running around the house, adoring Amanda Zamora and Crystal Price. The only girl the entire night who even noticed I was gone was
Melanie Daines. She came up to my room and talked to me, making sure I was okay and hadn't died. She is still my friend to this day!

The misery continued to the next morning. I was not the first person to smack and break the pinata as I had planned. Who puts a girl's twelve year old brother in charge of pulling the pinata rope? To this day I swear he had a crush on Victoria Irwin, who happened to be the girl to break the thing open. I know he let her do that on purpose. A lot of the party is on video and if you need a good laugh, I'll make you a copy and you can find enjoyment at my expense. The wound has not yet healed for me, even two decades later. Twenty years. And yet it feels like only yesterday.

4 comments:

danielle and jason said...

Happy Birthday!

Becky said...

Thanks for a wonderful laugh! Happy birthday!

Carli said...

Happy birthday! That story is hilarious! Melanie and Victoria look so different. I remember when you were like a year older than that. Those were the days. Carefree and fun!

Chambers Clan said...

I remember that party. I sat with you on the steps watching everyone having fun. Now I can understand why you were crying. I didn't have a clue back then...I'm sorry it destroyed your future of birthday parties. I can honestly say I don't know anyone else besides Victoria-That's probably why I was up with you...You were the only one I knew! I'm glad I was there! You were always so fun at my parties:) I'll never forget the bucket of candy you gave me with my name all over it. I was eating it so sparingly to make it last longer and one day I come home to find that my dad and brothers ate the entire bucket of candy in one sitting! I think I cried too!