"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Planting Flowers

On Saturday morning Cody was working the yard. He came in and shocked me when he said he wanted to get some curbing, soil, and flowers to put around the trees in our front yard (or better yet on the front sidewalk). This is coming from the man who in years past has said planting flowers and landscaping is pointless. In fact, he has given me grief whenever I have wanted to put in flower beds.

So in the afternoon we took a fieldtrip to the local nursery. Pre-made casters cost a total of $40 for both trees. Not bad! Then when we got home he dug up the sod and placed the casters with the help of the kids. I have a notorious black thumb. I don't know why, but I have a very hard time getting anything to grow. Last spring when I re-did the front bed, I spent a week working that soil over and tilled it down about twelve inches with fertile soil. Then I planted about 100 bulbs, yet this spring barely anything came up. I got ONE tulip to bloom and it was puney. Yet some of the perinnial lillies are finally coming up and I think they may look good.

I really want to find some good shrubs to put along the house and I want to get a few more flats of flowers to plant. But this is a start. I really love gardening and working the yard. I just wish I didn't kill everything!









1 comment:

Katie said...

copy cat..i know i started the trend. Just Kidding! You guys did a great job, i'm now rethinking and think i should do more..you've outdone me again.