"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, April 11, 2008

Do Not Pass Go

This is what Lauren says to anything that comes near her mouth that is not my boobie. No bottles, no binkies of any kind. Nothing. Nada. Especially no rubber spoons full of baby food. I am about at my wits end. She is still waking up every four hours to eat for two reasons. #1 I am her binkie. #2 she doesn't get full enough during the day so she is hungry. I am not satisfying her hunger anymore at all but she refuses anything else. Tonight I was about to lose it. She was up three times to eat last night.

Before you say I should let her cry it out, I refuse to do that because she is really hungry and I think that is mean. I won't deny her something when I know she really needs it, but I don't know what to do otherwise. I have been trying to get her to eat solids for two months now. She is getting over the spit-it-out reflex but now she plain will not open her mouth. She has the jaws of life and I can't get her to do it with out hurting her. She screams and screams when I try to get her to eat.

Another concern of mine is that she could go anemic if she doesn't start eating rice before long. I can tell she is depleting me of my iron and I'm feeling the signs of amemia in my own body. Her doctor wants to have her blood tested for it. If there is a technique out there for getting a baby to put something other than a boob on her mouth...trust me, I have tried it. I am lost.

7 comments:

Ute Family said...

Oh I am so sorry...that sounds terrible. I don't have any words of wisdom for you :( It sounds like you've tried everything. Good luck and I hope things work out for you soon!!

Carli said...

wow! That stinks! Try something sweet like a popscicle or even a taste of ice cream. When she realizes that it is good, you can try switching back and forth from yucky to sweet. I do that with Kennedy. I give her yucky peas and then a spoon of sweet. She never knows what she will get so she opens her mouth. Ha!

Becky said...

Yikes! I wish I had some brilliant mommy answer for you! There all so different and each have their own little stinker ways! I hope you figure it out. If I hear anything ingenious, I'll be sure to pass it on!

Kristi said...

Oh good luck! I was lucky enough to have all my kids open nice and wide for spoons, or else I might have lost it! Hang in there she'll figure it out!!

Allen Family said...

Frustrating!! I, like all the comments before, wish I had some piece of mommy trick to help, but am lacking. What if you put rice cereal on your nipple? :-) I'm totally laughing as I write this and am joking, but hey, why not!

Joey and Nettifer said...

You know Madelyn would not eat anything from a spoon till she was 9 months and my ped, said to just keep letting her nurse and had me take more vitamins. I hope that helps!

Leilani said...

I know I don't have much experience yet, but here's my advice for what it's worth. I took about a thousand supplements as prenatal vitamins and my doctor has had me continue most of them for as long as I am breastfeeding. It means I don't get robbed and the baby gets all he needs. She also recommended that I not even try feeding any kind of food until 6 months but that I could actually wait up to a year as long as the baby always seemed satisfied. Once I start feeding, if it is before 1 year, she told me that his diet still needs to consist of mostly breast milk and that the food is really just so he acquires a taste for it. As long as I am taking my supplements and he's on mostly breast milk I don't need to supplement him with any of the liquid baby vitamin drops either.

Matthew still wakes up about twice a night. I only feed him one of those times depending on what time it is (unless he is screaming of starvation). My husband rocks him to sleep the other time or tries and if it doesn't work then I feed him. It's no fun for him to have to get up, but we figure it's a trade off. I get up once and he gets up once.

The doctor we see is a naturopathic doctor so her views are a little bit different from some pediatricians, but I'm alright with it. She tends to go the more natural route.

In the end do what works for you and your little girl. I'm sure every child is different. It might be a huge sacrifice to still get up so many times to feed her in the night, but maybe your milk is what she really needs (and obviously wants).

I love reading your blog. I learn so much from all your experiences! And I love seeing the cute pictures of y'all.