"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

WARNING...... This will be a very depressing post. Stop reading now if you don't want your heart to break.

Since I use our blog as my journal, I need to write this. My heart is so heavy and it just might break in two. An unthinkably sick crime was committed against a child in our city. When I saw it on the news yesterday (as the follow up to a story I'd been following for hours) I had to run into the bathroom to throw up. Sheer panic overtook my body and I haven't had an anxiety attack like that in over a year. How could someone do such a thing. How could so much evil consume a person? How can Satan be that influential? Sometimes I hate this world. It's enough for me to want to take my family, dig a hole, and hide inside. My children are not safe. Some people think I'm paranoid because I won't go in the backyard and play if one of my children is inside taking a nap. I never let my kids leave my sight if possible. Some might say I'm too controlling. But I say I don't have a choice. Terrible things happen when you stop watching. Terrible things happen even when you are watching. What is a parent to do? How can the Lord let things like that happen? I have shed so many tears in the last day. When I close my eyes all I can see is that child's face, the face they showed so many times on the news. As I've thought about it non-stop these last 24 hours, this is what keeps coming to mind:

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to this family.

3 comments:

Miles and Bex said...

My mom was telling me about what happened yesterday. That is so sad. I appreciate Alaska so much because of the safety I feel here. In the year we have lived here there has not been one child abduction or anything. That is so scary it happened in NSL!

Bel said...

I am so sad it happened also, I have been following it close and cannot imagine the pain the family must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with them as well.

PS I loved the video you made of Hailey's birth, you did a great job I love that song!!

Ute Family said...

Amen to that. When I heard, I couldn't sleep that night. It's a sad day when you don't even feel safe enough to sleep in your own locked house. Jake and I look at each other all the time and say "Why can't the second coming just come already?!" I don't want my daughter raised in this horrible world. Being a mother has changed my perspective on everything!