"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Our Missionary

A momentous thing happened in our family today. A McCorkle actually received a mission call. Out of seven children in our family, number seven is the only one to serve a mission. My parents were converts and didn't join the church until their 20s. I was very close to going years ago but chose the marriage route instead. Leighann has wanted to serve a mission for as long as I can remember. She seems to be the best of the bunch. I sometimes refer to her as our anchor. In a swim relay the strongest swimmer is saved for the last lap. It's when the team is the most tired and weak that they need their strongest team mate to pull through. Leighann is that team mate for our family.

There has always been something so grown up about her spirit. My mom and dad say she was thirty-five when she was born. She has spent the last three years living near us going to college. Over these years I can honestly say she has become one of my best friends. There is a big age gap between us and I didn't always treat he well when she was little (that is an understatement) but I am so grateful for the time we've had over these few years to get to know each other better. I really love her. I don't get mushy with my siblings very often, but I know she is reading this and I need to tell her more often how much I love and admire her. She's a great girl.

She used our address as the mailing address for her mission call and we have all been on pins and needles since she turned in her papers two weeks ago. Today I got the mail and there was that big white envelope. I was so excited! I ran inside to call and tell her that she needed to get her butt into town. I got her balloons and a cake and could barely make it during the four hours that I had to patiently stare at that envelope. I didn't tell her this but while I was making dinner I started crying hysterically. I started bawling because it hit me that my baby sister, my only blood relative close by, would be leaving for a very long time. Suddenly I felt very small and alone. She is what has connected me to my roots all this time. When she is around she makes me feel less homesick for what's familiar. And now she is leaving.

After this month she will be gone and our late night talks, movie watching, and junk food fests will have to cease. She is the only relative that has witnessed the birth of one of my children. I don't know what I am going to do when she is gone. I didn't realize how much I am going to miss her until I saw that envelope. But I will have the opportunity to go through the temple with her in June and I can't wait. It's going to be awesome. She finally got into town at 7:15 this evening and she brought a good friend with her. Melina is so cute and sweet!

She has to do the standard Leighann "thumbs up" pose!

Calling family back home.

Cody is so thrilled to be the phone holder!

And she's going to...................Tacoma Washington!!!

The girl kind of screwed up on the cake.
It is suposed to say "Congrats Sis. McCorkle lucky #7.
She forgot the "y" on lucky so I improvised.

The official letter signed by President Monson himself!

Leg Ham, we are so proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Carli said...

that is awesome! And I would love to take over as late night junk food junkie!

Anonymous said...

Aw Icka, you DO like me! But wait, you said something that doesn't quite sound like you...crying hysterically...out of nowhere?! That COULDN'T be! Thanks for a great night! I loved the balloons you "got" for me ;)

Joey and Nettifer said...

That is so awesome! Way to serve the lord!!! I love washington!

Becky said...

So exciting and so hard to have best buddies leave! She's funny, I don't know if I've met her or not, but I read her blogging about the beer drinking pose and laughed and laughed!

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jess... said...

Veronica crying hysterically?!?! You've changed....Utah has changed you.....what has become of our little Har-monica?!
-Jason
Seriously....you both are lucky, its hard enough to just deal with our siblings let alone truly consider them friends.

Ute Family said...

Your sister is so cute. I smiled the whole was through that post. I can feel the love you have for your little sis. That's so awsome that she's serving a mission. She will truely be blessed.

Jylaire said...

You are so lucky to be sharing this with your little sis! What a great experience this will be for all of you!

Staci said...

that is so exciting. she will make a great missionary. what a blessing she is to your family.

Chambers Clan said...

Way to go...Is she really 21? That's hard to believe. I remember her with the cute Sunday curls that you and Evelyn absolutely refused to do in your hair. I hope she remembers an umbrella, but I hear the summers are awesome! I think you were a strong one in the gospel too. From reading your blog it sounds like you are so in tune with the spirit!