"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Temple


I have been saying for the longest time that I want Lauren to take a bottle (at least for one feeding) so I can go to the temple. I haven't been since Hailey was two weeks old!! That is horrible. On Friday my sweet mom told me I needed to go. We didn't have much going on that day so she "kicked me out". I had such a great time at the temple. It's funny...it's kind of like riding a bike. You don't forget how the session works. It was like no time had passed since I'd been there. I love all the cute elderly ladies that work there. So sweet and kind and full of love.

I love sitting in the session looking around at the people there because it's like the whole world melts away. No one knows how much money you make, what personal problems you have, or what your strengths or weaknesses are. We are all the same. Everyone there are brothers and sisters in the truest sense. As I was sitting in the chapel waiting for the session to start, I loved listening to the organist play. I decided one day I would LOVE to work in the temple as an old lady and play the organ. That would be such a cool calling.

I did an endowment for a woman named Margaret Matthews who was born in 1778 in England. From the second I took the paper with her information on it I felt something intense. I looked at her name and examined the paper through much of the session. Sometimes I have a "feeling" about the person, other times I don't really feel anything. But I felt something that day. I think she had been waiting a mighty long time to have her work done. I think she had accepted the gospel a very long time ago. I think that Friday was a day of rejoicing for Maggie. I can't wait to meet her on the other side. What an awesome experience.

That night Mom, Leighann and I sneaked out to see the 9:00 showing of "Emma Smith- My Story". It was in an actual theater...right next to a rated R movie. Yikes! Wow, what a tear jerker. I can't believe all that she went through. I hate it how many people criticize her for not joining the saints in their trek to Utah. Some people say she was weak and selfish and unfaithful. I say the poor woman had probably endured all she could endure. It was an amazing story and gave me a new appreciation for that wonderful woman. I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

1 comment:

Chambers Clan said...

How fun. We have been waiting to find out when our stake pres. is around to sign our bar code recommends...but we need to have them before Melissa gets married! I know what you mean about it being so long, but it is sweet no matter when you go. I love it! It is such a wonderful time to ponder. I don't get those very often:)