"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, March 31, 2008

Our Organization & Chores

Ethan is old enough now where he needs to be accountable for helping out around the house. He can't do a lot, but he can at least help make his bed. We figure it's time he had some regular chores. But we are starting out gradually with easy tasks. You might laugh when you see the chores we have assigned him. They might seem easy, but it has been a daily battle to get him to do them. Now that he gets to put a sticker on each day when he's completed the task, he's pretty excited about it. At then end of the week if his chart is filled up with stickers he gets some sort or reward. Nothing like extrinsic motivation!


I love organizing. I love having to-do lists and check lists. I love calendars. I love being able to see something written out and know what's coming next. Here is how I organize our week. I also make a monthly meal calendar (2 weeks at a time) and it lets Cody have a say in what we eat for dinner. If something sounds good to him he can write it down and I'll make it! It's nice to be able to buy everything for two weeks worth of dinners (except produce) and have it on hand for when I know I'll need it. It works for us!
Obviously I scratched out our last name for security reasons.

7 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

oh I love love love lists and being so organized. Something about thta makes me so happy!

Ute Family said...

Wow, it's been a few days since I've caught up on your blog. It was nice catching up.
I love that you are so organized. I have a list for everything. But I need to buy a big calender like yours so it seems for official. Very nice, especially with 3 kids.

And don't worry about hurting your kids...it happens. Jake once kicked Lydia right in the face when she was laying on the floor right in front of him and I had just reminded him 3 minutes earlier that she was there and to be careful, but he forgot and did it anyway...true story!

Ute Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

I LOVE the chore chart! I've been trying to figure out how to set up "allowances" for the boys... And AMEN on being in love with lists and charts!

Miles and Bex said...

Nice to see you getting back to your lists! I remember you telling me how you loved list!

Jylaire said...

I really need to do a chore chart for London. I always feel so much more in control when everything is organized. I do the monthly meal plan, too. I love not having to think of what to make for dinner every night!

Heather Jones said...

I had a lot to catch up on again with your blog!!!I love the chore cart I need to do that for Kylie and ken's Then maybe they would actually want to do their jobs. Todd always makes fun of all my lists everywhere!!!