"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Good Day

Today has been good. It's been one of those days when things have gone like clockwork and I've gotten things done. These days are few and far between for us around here so I cherish them. The Lord truely does take mercy on hard working moms and gives us a break now and then. Gotta love the guy!

I've had a heaping pile of laundry that has grown and grown over the last few days. I sorted 10 loads worth this morning and made a lot of head way into it. I really don't dislike doing laundry...if I have the time to do it. There is something therapeutic about it. The part that causes me pain is when my nicely folded piles get destroyed by little people. Ethan had an easy drop off at school (many days he fights me on it but then doesn't want to leave when I go to pick him up). When I got home from dropping him off, the girls went down for naps with no problem. Again, often times rare.

Then I was on the phone almost the whole 2 1/2 hours with insurance companies, both auto and medical. This accident is going to be a huge headache but at least the claim has been made and things are underway. Then I had to check and double check on coverage of Ethan's therapy. Another headache because I always get the runaround at Cigna. Then I was on the hunt of a back up preschool in the off chance that Ethan doesn't have a spot this fall at his current school. And the whole time I was making calls I got a lot of laundry done and managed to do some other housework. I love productivity!

When I picked Ethan up I hesitated telling him that we were going to get his hair cut (Sorry Heather, I didn't have time to drive out to your salon today!) He always fights me on it, but when I told him he paused, got a thoughtful look on his face, then said "Bye Miss Kari! I'm going to get handsome!" He asked me if we could go get a toy afterward and I told him it all depended on how he behaved. Well his hair cut couldn't have gone more smoothly. He was an absolute gentleman! He is going to look awesome for his pictures on Friday.

Then it was off to Wal-Mart to pick out a new toy. He is into robots lately and he wanted a fancy Optimus Prime toy, but I said no way am I paying $20 bucks for it. He didn't argue and settled on a less expensive robot that ended up being way cooler anyway. He is sleeping with it tucked under his arm as I write this. He'll be taking it for show and tell tomorrow. The best part about our shopping trip is that the kids NEVER ONCE argued with me in the store or ran off. They stayed put the entire time and never cried for candy at the check stand. I couldn't believe how well behaved they were.

Things have continued to go so well tonight. I really needed the break. Cody even ordered pizza for dinner so I was off the hook in that department. I love it when I have the energy to enjoy my children in the way God intended. I read them books and after I tucked them in and turned out the light they kept asking me to sing to them...over and over. And the great part is that I didn't mind at all. Things were so sweet and peaceful and as we were piled on the bed I could feel the spirit permeating the whole room. I really listened to the words of "I Am A Child Of God" and "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" and got choked up as I listened to my sweet babies sing along. My goodness, I love them like crazy. I know every day isn't great like today, but I appreciate the tender mercies that the Lord shows me when I need it. I am so thankful for that.