"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Speech Therapy

Ethan had his first speech session yesterday. There is a huge waiting list for the auditory processing therapy and it will be at least 3 months before we can start that. So he will be going to Susan to work on things in the meantime. I am shocked at how responsive he is to her. Yesterday they worked on "sh" and some auditory stuff on the computer. When we got there they first played a "Memory" type of game. Each card had a picture on it and each picture was something that had the sound "sh" in it. Shovel, shark, shoe, fish, etc. He loved playing that game. She had him at such ease and made everything feel very natural. As they played, she taught and worked with him. He didn't have any idea that it was a therapy session. He just thought he was playing with Ms. Susan.

Then she pulled out a huge box of trains. tracks, and so many accessories. She used it as a bribe. When ever he did something right or stayed on task, she let him pull out a different part of the track. It was a huge incentive to cooperate. I should do something like that at home! At the end she let him play with the train while we talked. We set some goals for what we'd like to see happen during the next few weeks. I am so relieved that we've gotten the ball rolling. Ethan will be caught up with other kids in no time!

On another happy note, Ethan had a great day at church on Sunday. Cody only had to sit with him during Sharing Time opening exercises. Then he sneaked out and Ethan did so well. I played the piano again and he didn't have to sit by me at all. Then he went to class and was so good. He is infatuated with his teacher, Brother Adams. Anything he did, Ethan had to do too. I'm sure he even went with him when he used the bathroom! Now Ethan is talking about Brother Adams all the time. Hey, whatever it takes! Way to go Buddy!

2 comments:

Miles and Bex said...

I am so glad that you guys are all okay after the car accident. I would have been way scared too! That is awesome E is in speech. I love watching B at his speech because she can teach him to make certain sounds so well. I love it. Brayden is doing so well. He almost doesn't need any speech. YEAH.

Joey and Nettifer said...

Yeah for Ethan! He is going to be one smart cookie.
I am glad he is liking primary better now.