"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Car Accident

Friday was a crazy day. I spent the morning running around at appointments and doing errands...and oh yeah, getting in an accident. I was going to Babies R Us to exchange Hailey's Easter dress for a different size. I was minding my own business. Kids weren't fussing or anything and the weather was perfect. No nasty road condition or anything. I was making a protected left turn and a guy side swiped me as he made an illegal right turn. Kind of complicated explaining it this way.

I felt the impact and was furious from the second it happened. We pulled into the parking lot and I was about to ring his neck, that is, until I saw the guy. Total gang banger Hispanic and very scary. Covered in tattoos, chains, shaved head, the whole nine yards. He immediately tried to blame it on me. Then he started freaking out and kept telling me not to call the cops. Turns out the guy had no insurance, no driver's license, and he had a warrant out for his arrest. What a winner. I realized I didn't have my phone with me. The ONE day I leave it at home I get in an accident! The guy was so threatening and I was scared out of my mind. My instinct said I needed to call the police. But I was almost paralyzed with fear because I realized this guy could easily have a weapon on him. One wrong move from me and he could have hurt me. Not that I know that for sure, but I wasn't taking any chances.

No one had seen the accident and it was just the two of us there in the parking lot. I said "Okay, I promise not to call the police, but can I PLEASE use your phone to call my husband!" He hesitated but then agreed. He was practically breathing down my neck as I talked to Cody. Cody kept telling me I was crazy not to call the police. I knew he was right, but I couldn't communicate exactly how scared I was. I felt like I was on eggshells. The whole time Ethan kept trying to get out of the car and I was scared to death. I was terrified that this guy would hurt me and my kids. Finally I think the guy panicked, grabbed my wrist, yanked his phone out of my hand, then jetted.

I was left there alone in the parking lot, shaking like a leaf, and I lost it. I started sobbing hysterically. Then my knight in shining amour pulled up. Okay, he was in a white Volvo but it was like a white horse. This guy in a business suit got out and asked if I was okay. He said he saw what he thought was some kind of assault between the guy and me. To make a long story short, this knight was thinking super clearly that day and got a full description of him, a full description of the car he was driving, AND the license plate number! It was my lucky day after all. Thank goodness for observant good citizens. He called the police for me, then let me use his phone to call Cody back, then stayed with me until the Police showed up and he gave them a report of what he'd seen. His name was Dave. Thanks Dave for being so kind and attentive to a total stranger and her 3 kids. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

The police came and Cody showed up just as they were wrapping things up. Turns out the owner of the car is a woman who has several warrants out for her arrest on drugs. Such high class people! Why couldn't I have gotten hit by a nice soccer mom with current insurance and everything? I don't know if the police will ever hunt this guy down. I don't really care. We are all safe and the $800 worth of damage to our van isn't worth more than our lives. I'll update this when I know more.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, how scary! And how lucky that you had someone there watching out for you! Hope everything is okay.

Chambers Clan said...

Wow, I'm glad everything went ok. I think you were probably being protected. What was going through your mind?? I can't even imagine. I think that's my naieve nature. Good luck with that crazy process.

Ute Family said...

I can't believe it....that is the craziest story. Glad things turned out your way. I probably would've done the same thing you did.

You're a brave woman...thank goodness for the knight that drove in on his white horse!!

Becky said...

I don't think that one will be funny in any long distance retrospect! Glad you're okay.

Carli said...

dang gangsters! I would have crapper my pants and been scared for my babies! Call me tomorrow and tell me the details.

Anne said...

Scary! I'm glad someone came to save you.