"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Texas Independence Day- March 2nd



Sunday was Texas Independence Day. It stands for the day in history when Texas won it's independence from Mexico. All over Texas there are always huge celebrations and festivals, so I decided to have a mini festival on Sunday. Our kids are half Texan and by gosh they are going to know their heritage!!! Of course Aunt Leighann was up from college for the weekend. She is taking a physics class at the campus in our city so we see her quite a bit. She joined the festivities and what a hoot-en-anny it was!

We had Frito pie and Texas corn bread for dinner. What is Frito Pie? It is an amazing and complicated Southern dish. You take a bowl of Fritos, smother it with chili and cheese, and scarf it down. I know, it's a lot of work. Then we made and decorated Texas shaped cookies. I wanted to bust out in "Texas Our Texas" before dinner but Cody wouldn't have any of that. His hostility toward the state is only to mask his sheer jealousy that he's not from there. That's got to be it!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Leighann will likely kill me when she sees this picture of herself on here. She had just been talking about how terrible her hair looks straight out of the shower.

Photobucket
Ethan wanted to take a picture of me. He said "Pose Mommy!" So I did.

8 comments:

Chambers Clan said...

Oh how I miss the "Frito Pies" from Langham Creek Cafeteria! I also loved the salads at the little salad stand that never had a line. I always picked out the red cabbage though! You are so good to instill the Texas spirit in your kids. Mine don't even have a clue where it is and Dave always makes fun when I go on and on about the Lone Star State...Oh well I guess by now he should be used to it!

Carli said...

and happy jacks! those were yummy!

Erin said...

I didn't know that Mr. Incredible came from Texas. Looks like a fun celebration.

Heather Jones said...

Ok first your car accident post is crazy I might have lost it a lot early then you. that is so good some nice people still are out there and stop to help!! I am sorry about your car that does suck!!I hope it all works out!!!
Love the cookies and other posts!! You are lucky your hubby cleans bathrooms I don't think Todd has once since we have been married!! Maybe if I begged hard he would. He does great at vaccuming!!

Ute Family said...

You have such a cute little family. And I love how Ethan is wearing his costume.

I love frito pie. I've had it once and it was de-lish.

Anne said...

Gotta love Texas!

Anonymous said...

You're right. The death will commence in 2 weeks when I'm up there next. I can handle having ultimate hippy hair, but it looks like ugly hit me in the face in that picture!

Ev said...

Legham, the ugly hits you everyday, so this picture really isnt any different than any other one of you. Anything you say plus one.