"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Televisionless Day

I have been doing an experiment to see what happens when the TV goes off. It's not that we watch all that much compared to the rest of society. We don't even have basic cable, nor will we ever have it. But the kids do watch more than I'd like. Yesterday they watched about one hour total all day. Today they watched "Curious George" in the morning on PBS then it went off. Ethan is on spring break so I was really feeling brave by not letting them watch anymore all day long. I caved and let Ethan watch his "Transformers" cartoon DVD while the girls napped in the afternoon. Wow, you should see the condition of our house. Total disarray. I think I take for granted how much housework I'm able to get done while the kids watch a movie or two. I think every book, toy, and game was pulled out of every toy basket and closet. We played and played! I am pretty beat. Although out house in bad shape, I feel pretty good about myself because I accomplished so much with the kids today. I am going to try it again tomorrow!

Ethan amazed me again today by writing "robot". He spent a lot of time drawing, writing, and coloring today. Way to go buddy!

This is the tip of the iceberg of what happened to our house today. I should have taken another picture at 5:00 p.m. Enlarge the picture and you can see Hailey is eating a tube of lip gloss!

Lauren enjoying all the playtime! What a silly day.

3 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

way to go. We don't let M watch tv either, my mom won't allow it when she is with M and I am going going going, so she never gets it either. It is when daddy comes home from work and he is tired he will snuggle down and watch a show with her. Sometimes I wonder why I pay $150 a month for cable tv. You are such a good mom!

Chambers Clan said...

I wish I was brave like you. Today Tina is sick, so definately out...I'll have to try soon though. Your easter looked so bright. I love it.

Bellblogging said...

That is an awesome goal...hard I think way to go! Looks like a fun Easter, and your kids look so cute! Love the tables also, I'll take one!