"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Monday, March 31, 2008

Lauren's Finger- Bad Mom Moments

I feel like the worst mom ever. Today we were at gymnastics and it was time to leave so I was going to help Ethan with his shoes. Lauren was lying on her belly on a blanket on the floor. She was almost right underneath the chair and apparently her tiny hand was touching the leg of the chair where it meets the floor. Without looking, I plopped Ethan down in the chair and it scooted it just a little. But it was enough to smush her finger with 42 pounds of force. I have never in her life heard her cry like that. I sat there and cried with her as I tried to console my innocent baby. She was bleeding and now her finger is swollen and bruised. I could not believe I hurt her like that. But i guess you don't expect your baby's finger to be underneath a chair leg. There is not worse feeling than knowing you inflicted pain on your child.
When Ethan was 27 months old he grabbed the whole barrel of my fat curling iron and he had a borderline 3rd degree burn on the entire palm of his hand. I cried for days over that and still cringe when I think about it. His whole hand was a nasty blister for weeks and over time I had to cut away the rotted skin and re-wrap his dressing on a daily basis. My heart still hurts about it and probably always will. My poor boy!

4 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

oh sweet baby! I am sorry that happened. Never fun!
M grabbed my flat iron to, but I didn't take her in. Now I feel bad, I probably should have. I think she went into shock and just slep for hours! Oops!

Becky said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I agree--nothing worse than hurting your baby! Maybe that's what Jesus meant when He said patient like a little child... I've wondered and wondered about that!

Carli said...

Awwww! Sad. Don't feel too bad though. My baby has little guises all over her little head from me letting her crawl into the table and fall off the bed! Such a bad mom I am!

Carli said...

Awwww! Sad. Don't feel too bad though. My baby has little guises all over her little head from me letting her crawl into the table and fall off the bed! Such a bad mom I am!