"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, July 6, 2008

The 4th Of July


O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us as a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!


I can't listen to the words of this song and not cry. Today in church we all stood to sing this and I lost it during the 3rd verse. I sometimes feel like an idiot because I seem to be the only one crying, but it gets to me. I am so blessed to be a citizen of this country. I don't know why the Lord saw fit to let me be born with such freedoms, but I am eternally grateful for this gift.

We have been in Idaho this weekend visiting Cody's family and we went to the church with them today. I love the fast and testimony meeting that goes along with Independence Day. I am always moved to tears and this year proved to be no different. An ex-Navy Seal bore his testimony and the spirit was strong. He lost his left arm in battle and he sacrificed so much for our country. I am deeply indebted to people like that. both of my grandfathers fought in WWII. So much has been given on my part and I feel it such a privilege to be an American.

We had a great weekend in Idaho. The weather was perfect and it is what all 4th of July celebrations should be like. Friends, family, great food, and of course...FIREWORKS!!! This holiday is my favorite above all, even Christmas.

No comments: