"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Happy 6 Years To Us





Tonight as I was cleaning the kitchen I yelled to Cody from across the room (we could barely hear over the chaos of our children) "Hey, could you have imagined 6 years ago that our lives would be like this today?" He just shook his head and laughed. Lauren was climbing up into the refrigerator, Hailey was cheering her on, the sound of "Star Wars" was blasting from the surround sound, Ethan was jumping on the couch, and my shirt was covered in the days festivities. What a life we have formed in these six years and we wouldn't trade it for anything.

Cody and I met during a time when I was least looking for love. In fact, a mission was on the horizon for me and I was busy with school. George W. Bush was about to be elected president and it was fall 2000. It's amazing how one late-night study session in the library would change both our lives forever. I was in Texas, he was in Utah. We both happened to be online that night checking our email on an old college alumni-type website. That site is no longer in existence but things like Myspace and Facebook have since taken it's place.

Long story short, we began chatting and he helped me with my Spanish. He had served a mission to Chile and had an under graduate degree in Spanish. This mystery person was currently working on a masters degree in public health at the University of Utah. I was just trying to get my act together, trying to decided what in the world to major in and what to do with my life. Cody and I became regular email penpals and I looked forward to my daily messages from him. It was usually something silly like "Hey Veronica, today I'm going to tell you about my dog Maggie who I'd had since I was a kid......" We got to know each other that way. We'd send short letters back and forth about random things from our lives.

During those months we never once spoke on the phone or heard each other's voices. In fact, we had only seen one picture of each other. But during this time Cody grew to be one of my dearest friends. Sometime in February I was having boy trouble with a certain guy in my ward and I needed an objective third party point of view. Cody and I talked on the phone for the first time that night. We were instantly hooked on this new form of communication and we started talking on the phone at least once a day.

Oh there is so much I'm leaving out because it's too long to write, but between trips back and forth to see each other and enormous phone bills, we decided to jump in feet first and try out a relationship. I was 21 and he was 27. On June 1st, 2001 he flew down to Texas, helped me pack everything into my little car, and the two of set out on this adventure that has since turned into an eternal marriage, 3 kids, 2 mortgages, 2 cars, debt, heartache, tears, laughter, ups and downs, fights, and more joy than we could have ever imagined.

We were married in the Salt Lake Temple on August 1, 2002 and we have never looked back. We have had our share of pain and disappointment, but we have also been blessed in more ways than we'll ever be able to comprehend. Cody truely is my best friend and although he's by far imperfect, there's no one I would rather have by my side during this journey we call eternity. I love you Cody. Here's to another 6 years with my hand in yours!


















8 comments:

Audrey said...

Happy Anniversary! I love all the pictures, and I really like the black shirt Cody is wearing in the wedding pictures!

bethany said...

Veronica-
Thanks so much for your comments on the blog last night. It's very comforting to know that I am not alone in my fears and that other people have been there, done that and gotten through everything. I have realized from the things that everyone has been saying that it's pretty normal to worry that I won't have enough love for two and I love that you said that you have enough love for each new child that comes along and can't imagine your life without him or her. I'm sure I will get to that point when this baby is born....
I didn't see that you had another blog about your PPD-I had post-partum depression after Jak and it really scares me to go through that misery again. It is interesting to think that I never imagined facing a trial like that when in high school or college. I just assumed all new mothers were so happy and cuddly with their babies :) Naive I guess.
Anyway, I really appreciate your honesty and willingness to share.
Thanks!
Beth

Chambers Clan said...

Congrats! I remember your wedding day. It was a wonderful day. I loved seeing your family. We had such a good time. I was huge and pregnant with my first. You sure followed fast! It goes by so fast doesn't it? Isn't it wonderful knowing that it will last forever though? I find lots of comfort in that! I would LOVE to get together with you! Next week is our last family outing to Bear Lake, but I will be free from then on! Let's plan a day:)

jess... said...

Hey this is Jason... I remember when you left... didn't you both stop by Gary's to say bye 2 everybody? - because Gary/Robert/Kenny's place was the place to be!?! Crazy, that seems like it was a billion years ago! Congrats....

Erin said...

Happy Anniversary, it's amazing how fast time goes by.

Ute Family said...

That is so adorable. I know so many people who have been married for 6 years, in the summer, including myself. 2002 is the BEST! We, in a way, have the same meeting story of our hubbies. Jake and I wrote to eachother for almost 2 years before we ever spoke on the phone, then met after many long phone conversations. We were hooked and got married 7 months after ofically meeting in person.

You two were so cute on your wedding day. Love the silly face photo! Congrats!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Your family is so wonderful and what a beautiful bride you were! Love yoru dress- it reminded me of mine!

What a fun day you had. We took Madelyn with us last year on our anniversary trip. We feel the same way about having the children with you.

Happy Anniversary!

Margo said...

You look great in your wedding gown. You were such a beautiful bride. Love looking back at all your pictures. Congratulations to the both of you.