"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Friday, July 11, 2008

Power of the Priesthood

I might be speaking too soon, but I don't think I am.

Yesterday was a terrible day for all of us. If you read my previous post, you know it was one of those days for me when I "questioned" being a mom. I sat in the doctor's office and cried out of frustration and sheer exhaustion. When we got home I gave Lauren her first dose of antibiotics at 7:00. Oh she was a sick baby. Cody went to the drug store to try to find something to help soothe her poor throat and help her sleep.

By bed time I could tell I was running a low grade fever and I was very achy. The thought of me getting sick too was almost too much to bare. After kids were in bed, I collapsed on the couch and ate mini-snickers. Great comfort food. Within an hour Ethan and Hailey were both up crying because they felt terrible. At 11:30 Lauren woke up and there was no calming her down. Fever, chills, congestion, and a blistery throat to boot. Uncle Cameron was in town so I grabbed the guys and said "Get your oil, this girl needs a blessing".

During the blessing Lauren was restless and couldn't stop fussing. They could barely keep their hands on her head. Through it all, however, I could feel the spirit. In the blessing Cody said that her body would respond well to the medication and that she would sleep and that (more importantly) Mommy would sleep too. He also said that she would be spared from the discomfort of the illness. Within seconds her body relaxed and she was quiet.

I took Lauren into the other room and I gently rocked her and within a short moment she was sound asleep. I said a silent prayer that she would be healed and that she wouldn't have to suffer. There is nothing more heart wrenching than seeing your sweet child in pain and there being nothing you can do to make the hurt stop. Lauren stayed asleep as I put her in the crib. At this time I was feeling awful and I knew that I must already have the same bug. I was so tired so right after I put her in bed, I crawled into bed and I don't remember a thing after that. For anyone who understands my insomnia issues, you know that me falling asleep so quickly was a miracle in itself.

Lauren didn't make a peep for two hours, and even then it was just for a second and I calmed her down and she went back to sleep. It was a wonderful night. Neither Ethan nor Hailey woke up at all like I was sure they would. At 7:00 this morning Ethan came into the room and was ready for the day. I, however, wasn't quite so ready. I sent him out into the living room to play quietly until everyone was awake.

When I went out there a little later I found Cameron reading to both him and Hailey and the Candyland game all spread out. It was really sweet and I'm so grateful to Cam for helping me out and letting me sleep a little longer. I'm also thankful that he could help with the blessing last night.

Today has been a 180 degree turn for our household. Lauren is feeling 95% better and is eating like a champ again. Aside from a few sniffles from Ethan, there isn't a trace of illness among us. I am flabbergasted at how quickly we all healed. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Lord intervened and helped us out. I think he knew I was almost to the breaking point.

I feel so blessed to be married to a righteous and worthy priesthood holder who was able to bless our baby. What a gift it is to have the priesthood in our home. The Lord really did honor that blessing last night and a miracle took place. There is no other explanation for Lauren's rapid recovery. Even if illness does reoccur, I am so grateful for the break that the Lord has granted me. I feel like I could move a mountain right now.

She devoured her lunch today. Such a great sign!!!

10 comments:

Farmer Mama said...

ah you totally gave me chills!! Great story, thank you for sharing

Ute Family said...

Wow, you have gone through a lot the past couple of days. But thank goodness for the priesthood. It truley is a blessing to have this knowledge. Glad you're all feeling better! :)

Audrey said...

So sorry that things have been so bad at your house lately. Your testimony moved me to tears though.

I think any mom who has had sick kids and a priesthood blessing has had a similar experience. It's always nice to have the Lord on your side when you're at your breaking point.

Bel said...

Holly molly, what a stressful situation!!! I am so glad that she is feeling better and that she was healed by means of the priesthood, what a wonderful story to be told. Let me know if you need anything : )

PS I got your invite at my door and we will be coming to the summer party, I am so excited!!

Chambers Clan said...

Oh, how I feel for you. It's no fun when they all are experiencing symptoms. What great inspiration for you to ASK for that priesthood blessing. I think there are times when I just don't ask and I should. I hope you start feeling better. I guess we need to go through the sickness to appreciate the health right?

Joey and Nettifer said...

WOW - I totally got the chills! Glad you are all doing so much better!

Allen Family said...

Great, great post to share. I'm a big priesthood blessing fan and am so glad made the difference for you guys!

foxie4 said...

No fun, Easton and I had strep this week too. Super sucks. Glad everyone is better.

Becky said...

Thanks for sharing.

Ash said...

Wow! I don't envy your experiences! Thanks for your testimony, it was wonderful!