"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life;
to put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die, discover that I had not lived." ~Henry David Thoreau

Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Was Wrong

There has been a turn of events in the last 24 hours. Hailey did not take to potty training yesterday like I had hoped. She was very reluctant about the whole thing and during the afternoon she began to run a fever. No wonder she didn't want anything to do with the potty. We will likely pick it up again next week if we are all healthy.

As for Lauren, what I assumed was a bad case of teething has turned out to be much more. He jaw and mouth have seemed very swollen, almost like someone looks after they have their wisdom teeth out. She cried most of last night and into the morning and today was very bad for all of us. Hailey woke up with a 102 fever this morning so none of us have been happy campers.

I had a feeling that Lauren's condition might be more than teeth, so of course I called Dr. Granana (AKA Mom). She said it sounded odd to her that Lauren would be having that terrible of a reaction to her first teeth, so I then called the pediatrician. The nurse said to bring her in because it sounded strange to her too. So after battling serious traffic due to road construction, I finally got to the doctor to find out that she has an ear infection and....STREP THROAT!!!

Oh my gosh, the poor baby! The doctor looked in her throat and said "If your throat looked like hers does, you would be screaming bloody murder." He swabbed her throat and the test came back negative, but with Strep it is hard to get an accurate reading if they don't do a live culture. He said that he was sure it was Strep so he started her on the medicine for it. I can not believe the poor girl is that sick. It sure explains a lot.

Also, the "swelling" around her mouth and jaw is actually because she isn't swallowing anything at all and her syliva is collecting there, thus the buckets of drool spilling out. He said she might be teething also, but that is not what's causing all of her misery. She has barely eaten anything in two days. It's hard not to feel awful about not getting her into the doc yesterday, but how was I to know it was anything else when all signs pointed to teething? Anyway, I hope she feels better soon. It is killing me to see her like this.

2 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

Oh your poor girls. I hope Hailey doesn't have it either. Gosh darn it. In the middle of summer - suck!

Becky said...

Wow, quite a few days for you guys. Sorry to hear, hope you all survive through. Poor things.